Sunday, January 13, 2008

The client in control

Clients are in control of their own coaching and learning process. As a coach I don't set the agenda, I ask 'what would you like to be coached on today?'. How much the coach has the desire to 'help' the client, it is the client's life and he or she doesn't want to live my life. It is totally unimportant what I myself should do, should I be in the same situation as my client. I don't come up with solutions, I listen very carefully to what is being said (and what not) instead.
Very important is the ability to be non-judgemental. Our judgements and opinions are about ourselves and our own life-journey, not about the person being coached.

2 comments:

Niels said...

So you need to be able to guide someone without showing the way...

Better bring some sturdy boots then ;-)

Evelyn said...

Actually, it is about showing the way but not by being a mentor and a subject-matter expert on the subject the client comes up with.

A coach guides his client through a specific process, so that this person can achieve the goals he has set for himself. Based on the clients personality, context and situation the coach will propose a certain approach, supported by a set of tools and techniques, like for example:
- visualisation
- homework giving
- conducting a gap analysis
- using self-talk
- being a sounding board
- ... and more.

I hope this helped a bit?
Cheers,
Evelijn.