Thursday, January 31, 2008

Effective feedback

Giving effective and good feedback is a very important skill for a coach: when applied appropriately, feedback can open up whole new opportunities for you. A good coach will ask you for permission to give feedback: "May I give you some feedback on this issue?"

Feedback is not offering an opinion. It is neutral and objective and does not contain judgment. Sometimes feedback can be hard. Your coach will then try to prepare you before she is giving the feedback (and after asking permission first!): "My feedback is not meant to be embarrassing, but can be hard for you".

The following is an example of good effective feedback:
Coach: "I have noticed that you are not returning your coaching forms. Furthermore you are calling in late and you haven't done all of the tasks we agreed on. What do you think your level of commitment is at the moment? Do you think it is a good time for you to be coached?

Feedback is about simply telling you what has been observed. The coach states what they notice and then listens to your response to follow up even further.

2 comments:

Niels said...

Hi Coach,

I agree with the general idea about giving feedback you outline.If I may be so frank to give you some? The last two sentences of your example do have a hidden value in it, as I read them. They seem to convey the message to me that the coachee might not be comitted as far as the coach is concerned. How did you see their meaning when writing the example? I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Personally I find this one of the hardest parts of feedback, staying out of the "my-values-trap".

Evelyn said...

Hi Niels,

Actually it is great that you bring this up, because in class we had some discussion about this example. Originally the feedback example was much stronger, with a phrase like: I think your level of commitment is quite low at the moment and I don t think it is a good time for you to be coached now.

That was not really a good feedback example, so in class we decided that it would be much better to ask the client about their commitment instead of stating it quite bluntly.

But I agree that in this example the coach is still making assumptions. In my opinion it would therefore be much better to do just ask why the client is behaving the way he does and also explain what this behaviour does with your own feelings.