Friday, April 11, 2008

Creating Confidence - in the role of coach

We have ownership of our confidence as a coach. We don't have to be confident to show it.
What supports us to create confidence:
  • the preparation of a session
  • listening to our client
  • using our coaching model
  • asking testimonials --> a testimonial can be a recommendation, or a specific experience the client went through.
  • learning from past experiences
  • asking for immediate feedback
  • evidence that you have the skills (biography)
A Biography includes passion, our unique coaching model, relation to our target market - the words we choose are extremely important - , our values and our history.

A Biography is short, sweet and personal. It is not a dry resume and boring. It must be honest and authentic, showing our human side.

By getting out and doing it we'll get confidence as well!

==============================
My Biography:

The business owner of Tall Tree Coaching, Evelijn Bos, has a background in Educational Science & Technology (Msc). I have worked for over 10 years in the Higher Education sector in the roles of e-learning consultant and staff development advisor. These roles have given me valuable experience in supporting adults gaining new competencies by establishing a non-threatening learning environment as well as experience in training design and delivery, working in complex organisations, working with new technologies, project management, project coordination and much more.

After immigrating to New Zealand in 2006 I started a career as a real estate salesperson, something completely different for me! I absolutely enjoyed the lifestyle and having my own business. Due to personal circumstances we moved back to Wellingtin, the 'big city', where I started to work in the field of Education again. Somehow coaching came on my path – I had that dream of working closely with people instead of technology and the desire of making a difference in someone's life, which I felt was not what I was doing by then. I started training as a coach with the International Coach Academy and what really blew me away and absolutely made the difference was the realisation that a coach works with people that are willing to change, committed to take action and have a very strong motivation coming from inside. This made me realise that I couldn't work any longer as an employee within organisations where staff are generally not open to change and innovations.

But I realised there was a world to win in supporting and coaching education professionals towards success in their personal and professional lifes. Working in the field of education can be quite challenging at times with it's strong political influences and policy changes, the fact that educational organisations are usually very large and dynamic, the output-oriented student approach which puts staff who want to deliver quality under great pressure, and the never ending stream of pedagogical and educational innovations.

And this is where I am now, on the doorstep of certification as a professional coach and establishing my coaching practice.

No comments: