Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My own very first trial session

Today I have had my first trial session, in the role of a client. One of the graduation requirements is that every student needs to be coached by at least one student coach for the duration of 12 sessions.

In a trial session the client and the coach try to find out whether there could be a fruitful coaching relationship, while at the same time the client gets a taste of what coaching can do for him.

I wanted to be coached on building my coaching business, so that was the focus of this trial session. My coach asked me various (difficult!) questions, like:
  • what do you want to accomplish with your business?
  • what are your goals?
  • what are the tools you will need?
  • what is your niche?
  • how do you want to enter the market?
Of course do most questions need some fieldwork as I do not have all the answers yet. But that is exactly what coaching is for in my case: to help me step by step through my business building process.

It was great to experience coaching in action and being on the other side - as a client. I became very aware of the fact that as a client it is necessary to commit yourself to the coaching process and the fieldwork that comes out of it as a result. No way that you are going to achieve your goals otherwise! You have to work for it. So as a client you need to reserve time to actually work on your goals!

It is up to me now whether I want to continue with this coach. I will be having another trial session with a different coach later this week, but this has been a great experience already.

No comments: